Stock No. C958
A rare mid-nineteenth century
scientific barometer c1850
- A rare mid-nineteenth century scientific barometer with a large diameter tube and a movable scale with rack and pinion adjustment. This enables the zero position to be accurately set to the level of mercury in the short limb.
- The barometer and a thermometer are mounted on a mahogany backboard.
- The barometer has a tube, of constant bore throughout its length, of approximately 1 inch diameter and the lacquered brass scale is graduated from 27 to 31 inches of mercury.
- The vernier and travelling microscope enable the pressure to be read to an accuracy of 0.002 of an inch.
- The silvered thermometer scale is graduated from 0 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The instrument has a replacement barometer tube, and a replacement thermometer tube.
- The mahogany backboard on which the barometer and thermometer are mounted is hinged to a second mahogany board so that the screws into the wall are concealed.
Return to previous page to see details of our other scientific instruments